It Is A Miracle We Are Sixth!
It Is A Miracle We Are Sixth!
Matic makes the case for commonsense and understanding:
Now I've had a chance to reflect I'm calm enough to see that there are bags of problems and, all things considered it's a miracle we're as high-up the table as we are.
1. We have no home ground this season. Wembley is soulless and isn't home. The media attention over our Wembley form before the season even started was ridiculous. No other team had that to deal with and we are going to have it all season.
2. Pretty much all our main players are constantly being bombarded with transfer rumours. All the time. Not to mention the increased sponsorship and agent whirlwinds that are circling our players, especially the likes of Dele. Losing Walker was a big loss too, especially his desire and the fact he'd been around the club for so long.
3. Injuries are crazy. We haven't seen Wanyama this season, Rose has just returned after being out for ages and Lamela has had two cameos. Kane is still injured and looks scared to put in his usual effort, Dembele is still lacking match fitness after his big injury and Toby is probably out until March.
4. So many out of form players! Toby was pretty average before his injury, Lloris has been off all season, Dele has been non-existent for 95% of his game time this season, Llorente hasn't turned up, Eriksen has either been sensational or anonymous, Kane has been poor since his injury and didn't score in September, Dembele/Rose are not sharp enough or fit enough yet so have been poor, Davies has been off recently, Aurier has looked very much a quality player who is struggling to adapt to a tougher league and Dier has had some great games but has been hugely inconsistent and doesn't know whether he's a CB or DM this season so has been a bit all over the place.
5. It's a world cup year and we're already seeing players being extra cautious not to get a bad injury. Not just at our club, but definitely quite a few at our club.
6. Idiot manager releasing a book, mid-season. For a manager who for his entire tenure at Saints didn't want to speak English for fear of being misunderstood he's gone too far the other way and has said too much!
7. Levy putting very little actual investment into our squad. He will not sack Poch because all things considered Poch has done very well with what he's been given. All the other teams around us in the league spent BIG. If we had been able to spend even a third of what some of those teams spent we'd have far better squad depth.
9. Danny Rose and his dumb gob. That radio interview would have destroyed most teams - probably more so at teams like Man City/United because egos are so fragile. I thought the fallout from that was going to be much worse than it was but I don't doubt it is still a very sore issue with Levy, Poch and the players.
10. The fans. We're not happy. We're homeless and unsettled. We had pretty much written off this season before it started because of that reason and I've been told you can feel it in the atmosphere at games.